Sunday 6 May 2012

Birthday Inspiration #2

For this year's birthday party, I've decided to have a 1950s prom theme, inspired by the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance in one of my favourite movies, Back to the Future.


I'm assuming using this on the invite will give people added incentive to come, I mean no one wants to be square, right?!


Cheesy teen movies are a bit of a guilty pleasure for me, and it's going to be great to have an excuse to dress like I'm a character in one of them...  I've put together a selection of pretty 50s style outfits for both guys and girls for anyone who's needing a bit of inspiration!


Looking at Modcloth's lovely dresses left me spoilt for choice, but these five are probably my favourites from their 50s-inspired section!


Brighton-based boutique Dollydagger is another perfect point of call for stunning prom dresses.  This one comes in a variety of different colours as well as retro gingham and polka dot prints!


Also from Dollydagger, this dress is so lovely.


For a more subtle and modern take on the style, this pretty sequined dress from ASOS is something that could be worn for a variety of events!


Finally, for a totally genuine 50s experience, this vintage dress from etsy seller CalendarGirlVintage is perfect - bonus points for the sea greens and blues!


It's harder to pinpoint a distinctive men's 50s style.  Probably the most signature look is Ratpack-esque tuxes, or business suits in black, grey or blue, as modelled in the picture above by the cast of Mad Men.  However, for prom, pastels were a pretty popular choice for the dapper gentleman:


It would make me a very happy birthday Faye if someone showed up to my party wearing this powder blue shirt from FireflyVintage under their suit...


Also from FireflyVintage, this yellow version is fantastic, look at those ruffles!


For a more casual (and manly) look, this checked shirt from AhemVintage is just gorgeous, I'm loving the diamond buttons.


Seriously though guys, you know I just want you to show up looking like this.

Coming up next time on Birthday Inspiration: decor, food, and of course drinks!

Faye
xxx

(p.s. Unless links are provided, all photos are from google images!)



5 comments:

  1. What an AMAZING theme for a birthday! Oh I think you are going to have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thank you, I hope so! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a cute idea! I would totally want to go to that party! Your choices are perfect, I especially love the light blue modcloth one! I also am adoring your button collection. I never thought to look for them at thrift store but I may have to now! The summer one is my favorite! Hope you are having a great Monday! (and thanks for appreciating the MOOSE carving in the tree, I thought that was hysterical!)
    xo Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a sweet comment, glad you enjoyed the dresses and badges/buttons (I never think to change my wording for non-British readers, oops!) The moose carving was so mysterious, was it carved by someone with the name Moose or just a moose appreciator? Who knows!

    ReplyDelete