Friday 20 July 2012

Thrifted Finds: Wallart Collection

Hey guys, today I'm going to share one of my favourite collections with you, my kitschy wallart display!   When Tetley and I moved into our rented flat together, it was a very impersonal space.  The living room only had very plain, basic pieces of furniture and one decoration - a black and white photo of the Eiffel Tower on a massive canvas, aka the most generic piece of wallart you can possibly imagine.  I wanted to get something more personal to us to display on our walls, so much so that it became a bit of a running joke among my friends to point out horrible pieces of art and suggest 'replacement Eiffel Tower?'  Sadly, on our small student budgets, Tetley and I couldn't find anything worthy of becoming the replacement Eiffel Tower that wasn't way out of our price range, until bootsale season started up and I hit the thrifting jackpot:


This collection of old lady-like yet awesome pictures fills the void left by the Eiffel Tower, and only set me back a total of £10, including most of the ornaments in the charm house.  Although I know my wall display isn't to most people's tastes, it really brightens up my day to look at it, and it's nice to know that I'm the only person in the world with this particular arrangement of art!  My friends from Aberdeen spent about 10 minutes staring at the wall in silence the first time they saw it, though perhaps it was due to horror rather than awe...






All of the pictures above were actually from the same sellers at the bootsale, a really sweet older couple who told me they were glad their pictures were going to a good home.  As I've often mentioned on here, I'm instantly drawn to anything with an owl or a deer (or any other woodland creature) on it, and although it's hard to tell in the photos, the owl and the big deer picture are shiny - another perfect selling point!  I also love the leopard pictures because of their silly velvet frames and odd subject matter, I wonder whose idea it was to paint a leopard sitting on a giant flower?





The pictures above are also bootsale finds, though they were all bought from different sellers.  In the top picture with the owl, I assumed the other birds were coming to him for advice because he is so wise, but someone has written on the back that he's actually being mobbed by the other birds, poor owl!  The owl clock was a gift from Switzerland from Tetley's parents and his eyes move when he ticks - I'm basically only one step away from being one of those old ladies with the creepy cat clocks!




I think that these last three pictures are my favourites - I adore embroidered pictures, and the colours in both the boat scene and the pheasant picture are fantastic.  Also, on the back of the boat picture it's written that it was made by a lady in hospital when she was recovering from a stroke, which is very impressive!  The magnificent golden owl was a gift from my friend Homer, and like the first set of pictures, it's ticking both the 'owl' and 'shiny' boxes!

The charm house where I display my ornaments is also part of my wall display, but I might save that for another post because one picture doesn't really do it justice!

What sort of art do you display on your walls?  Do you love looking out for tacky vintage pieces or do you prefer a more contemporary look in your home?

Faye
xxx

1 comment:

  1. I love your deer pictures! Make your home so much more personal :)

    www.littlekjf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete